Re: PCI graphics cards recommendations

Jonathan Matthews said:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Can anyone recommend/warn me off any PCI graphics cards that
> are still available at retail?
>
> I've googled a bit, but can't find any info written in the last year or
> so, or any relevant to X4.x
>
> FWIW I'm running X4.2, with a 15" CRT and a K6-III/550Mhz.
> I'd be looking to try Quake I/II/III (or as far as the K6 will let me go),
> and general desktoppy stuff.  I'd like to have the facility to run  in as
> high a resolution as possible at a reasonable refresh rate (where
> reasonable is, I spose, >65Hz).

http://www.insight.com/web/apps/nbs/index.php?K=nvidia+pci+video+card&C=C-VideoCard
http://www.insight.com/web/apps/nbs/index.php?K=ati+pci+video+card&C=C-VideoCard

insight doesn't always have the best prices but they have great service, and
a huge selection. I haven't tried the above cards but they should work fine
just like their AGP counterparts, perhaps just a bit slower. I have a matrox
g450 dual head PCI from insight in my redhat box(intel l440gx+ motherboard,
no AGP), works great. Haven't tried any 3d stuff but I think it's too slow
for 3d games, the nvidia would probably be best, ati should work too.

looks like maybe the geforce2 MX from the list above would be the fastest,
anything faster probably wouldn't make much difference on a k6-3 550,
you sure thats not a k6-2? or maybe it's overclocked? fastest k6-3 I've
seen I think is 450(I have a 400 in one of my boxes, love it).

nate