Re: voodoo3 troubles

Cameron Matheson wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to get my voodoo3 working but i am having some serious
problems...  The computer boots up fine w/ the card in, and X works
great w/ the "vesa" driver (other than no acceleration of course).  If i
try the "tdfx" driver, however, X goes crazy (the screen is bright
shifting colors and the cursor is a gigantic black rectangle).  After i
kill X w/ ctrl+alt+backspace the console is ruined (looks a lot like X
except in b&w) so i have to reset the computer.  I have been trying to
figure this out but so far no luck,  i have attached my XFree86.log and
my XF86Config-4 (and also output from dmesg).  Here is the stuff that is
probably significant although i am not sure:

(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(II) Module int10: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 4.2.1.1, module version = 1.0.0
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
(II) TDFX(0): Softbooting the board (through the int10 interface).
(II) TDFX(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) TDFX(0): Softbooting the board succeeded.

Why is it softbooting my board?  Isn't that only supposed to be done when
you have two cards and one of isn't started at bootup by the bios?

I think this part right here is the major bad stuff:

(II) TDFX(0): Failed to set dac value, bypassing CLUT
(II) TDFX(0): Failed to set dac value, bypassing CLUT
(II) TDFX(0): Failed to set dac value, bypassing CLUT
(II) TDFX(0): Failed to set dac value, bypassing CLUT

A quick search on google only turned up source code for the tdfx driver...
Anyway, i am at a loss, any ideas?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson

I have the Voodoo3-2000 here and it works fine. In reviewing your snippits of your log file above, I have the same "init10" stuff as you do. It appears to just be checking the availability of that mode. I don't have a second card either. I think the init10 stuff is normal.

I don't have the second portion about "(II) TDFX(0): Failed to set dac value, bypassing CLUT" anywhere in my logs. I cannot explain it.

Question.... when you configured the xserver-xfree86, did you enable the "frame buffer"? I could never get my card to work with that option enabled. You might run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and just change or check that option.

I actually have two of those cards working here in different machines. The only problems I encountered was with the framebuffer and setting up the mouse properly.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-