Re: killing a 'D' process

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:20:23PM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
| On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 10:31, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:53:15PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
[found a 'D' process, can't kill it, short explanation]

| Although referring someone who is frustrated with this particular aspect
| arising on Linux to the Hurd is like saying "if you sometimes have
| troubles getting through to someone using a telephone, you should switch
| to telepathy."

I didn't tell martin to use Hurd instead of linux.  This problem in
linux (and *BSD and unix in general) is directly related to the
architecture of the system.  While I understand what causes the
problem, and that at least the problem doesn't directly hurt the
stability of the system, I wanted to share a different perspective.
It's logically possible that the Hurd doesn't have this problem, due
to its different architecture.  OTOH, as you explained and I briefly
mentioned, the same problem may exist but with slightly different
symptons.  Whether or not one should use the Hurd instead of linux is
a separate issue from merely discussing architectural tradeoffs.  In
fact, I have never installed the Hurd, because I don't have a spare
system (or time) to experiment on that level.  Nonetheless, the Hurd
is interesting and different.

| We are better off to be able to see that these happen, and look at
| taking actions to develop work-arounds of the blocking in an updated
| version.

Sometimes it is healthy to look at a different architecture and
compare its solutions and tradeoffs with the system you are using,
even if only to improve your system rather than switch systems.

-D

--
How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released incompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you don't care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/