Detecting memory leaks

Hi ppl,

I'm using Debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.18,KDE 3.1 on a P4 2.2 with 512MB RAM and 256
MB Swap.

I've noticed that in a few days time or weeks the system slows down i.e screen
refresh takes longer, apps may take longer to launch,etc.

The apps I typically use are KDevelop,K3B,Kmail,KMerlin,Wine, Konqueror.

I suspect Wine,Konqueror or some part of KDE 3.1 - maybe artsd or something to
be causing the memory leak. I suspect Konqueror because each time I  noticed
the slowdown I had 5 or so instances of Konq running. Wine since it's still
under development. Artsd since in the KDE System Guard I've noticed that
artsd sometimes has a User % value of 35% or so.

Consequently I'm right now trying not to use Konq or Wine. Basically a trial
and error situation where I try not to use apps which I suspect till I figure
out the one that's causing the error.

I would however like if there was a better way to detect if an apps leaking
memory. I don't have source codes of many of the apps so I can't run it in a
typical debugger.

I would appreciate any suggestions you guys could gimme about tools for this
purpose or watever.....also anyone else facing similar probs with KDE 3.1??

Thanks
Bye for now