Re: what's wrong with rsync?

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:45:49AM -0500, Scott Nanni wrote:
> yes, rsync is "the bomb"
>
> and it uses some sort of digest algorithm to pull out the most
> significant bits and formulate a checksum which is usually just
> like a 128 bit string or so.. then I imaginge it would exchange
> the checksums and compare them to see if the file has changed

It's a little more complicate than that, actually, but that's the basic
idea.  For more details, have a look at
/usr/share/doc/rsync/tech_report.tex.gz.

Interestingly, it was written by a couple of guys from my Uni from a few
years back and I think they got a PhD related to it.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/