Re: please help with installation

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 05:38 am, Hugo Portela wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 February 2003 12:42 am, Fer'had Erdogan wrote:
> > > I'm new to Debian and to Linux. I'm trying to get it going on my a
> > > machine but I'm stuck. When it says "installing base system - please
> > > wait" (after configuring network) it starts writing some files in
> > > and gives an error message **debootstrap exited with an error
> > > (return value 1)** .. Can anyone help? What do I do?

<snip>

>  Another option is to try Knoppix. You can run it from the cdrom to
> check if your hardware is correctly detected and then install it on
> the hardware. It's very easy to install. When done you'll have a
> Debian installation on your box.

Knoppix is great on CD, but doesn't always install easily (or correctly) on a
hard drive.  It's also a mix of Woody, Sarge, and Sid, so it can be hard to
update or install other programs on later.  While it installed perfectly for
me, I could not get some programs to install on that system when I tried.

Hal