Re: Fetchmailrc--parse error

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 05:34:59PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 08:17:37AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> >> Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >> Dropping the "auth" did the job on syntax.  Funny, I added it because I
> >> was getting connection refused--host unknown.  That error has not
> >> returned (yet).  Now I'm back to "couldn'y find canonical DNS name for
> >> pop.sbc... normal termination, status 11"  From the manual:
> >>
> >> 11 Fatal DNS error. Fetchmail encountered an error while performing a
> >> DNS lookup at startup and could not proceed.
> >>
> >> What's the cure here?  I did check, and found that one of the DNS
> >> servers for sbc has changed, so I changed /etc/resolv.conf to no avail.
> >> Any hints?  Did you have a prob?
> >
> >Can 'host' resolve the hostname correctly?
>
> No. in fact, I can't ping or telnet either.  Same with
> smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.net.  Oddly, a couple of days ago I telnetted into
> the smtp addy to confirm authentication mode.

That's rather odd.

> Here is from Exim's mainlog:
>
> koko:/var/log/exim# tail mainlog
> [...]
> 2003-02-11 17:09:47 18ijX9-0001RO-00 <= kk5st@sbcglobal.net H=etta.blues
> [192.168.0.3] P=esmtp S=557 id=3E4982B5.8000604@etta.blues
> 2003-02-11 17:09:48 18ijX9-0001RO-00 => kk5st@sbcglobal.net R=smarthost
> T=remote_smtp H=smtp-sbc-v1.mail.vip.sc5.yahoo.com [66.163.171.137]
> 2003-02-11 17:09:48 18ijX9-0001RO-00 Completed

This is encouraging, the mail is being delivered successfully

> 2003-02-11 17:12:48 18ija4-0001SB-00 <= root@blues U=root P=local S=308
> 2003-02-11 17:12:50 18ija4-0001SB-00 => kk5st@sbcglobal.net R=smarthost
> T=remote_smtp H=smtp-sbc-v1.mail.vip.sc5.yahoo.com [66.163.171.137]
> 2003-02-11 17:12:50 18ija4-0001SB-00 Completed

This is a little odd; are you sure you want mail to root to go via your
ISP's mail servers?

> So, koko (the Linux box) is able to connect on the smtp side.  Also,
> etta, the Winbox, from which I'm trying to emigrate, is able to access
> both pop and smtp.  But, now (I just checked) I can't telnet from this
> box either.

Hmmmm...

> Can you suggest where to find a clue?  Resolv.conf?  Hosts?

/etc/resolv.conf is the place to setup resolving; are you *sure* it's
identical on koko and blues (presuming blues is the fetchmail-b0rked
box)?  Is blues able to resolve hostnames in general?  Is it behind a
NAT gateway?  Can it connect to the nameservers in general?  Can it
connect on UDP port 53 (the DNS port)?  Can it connect via the IP
address in general?  Again on port 53?  Does the whole thing work if you
add your SMTP sever (sbc's anyhow) to /etc/hosts?

A whole bunch of overlapping thoughts there, but that's what I'd do...

Just to clarify: you have three boxes, koko (a Linux box that's working
as a smart mail host) can connect to the remote mail server just fine,
etta (a windows box) can too, but blues (another Linux box) cannot?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/