Re: envelopes in TeX

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> on Tue, 11 Feb 2003 06:37:53PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson insinuated:
> [snip]
> speaking of configuring -- where should the .sty file go?  i tried
> just putting the whole envlab directory in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/
> -- and i made all the permissions world-readable and all that -- but
> the latex compiler doesn't like it unless i put the .sty file in the
> current directory.

You need to run texhash (probably as root) after putting it there. (You
can also create a texmf.local in /usr/share, put it there, and tun texhash
if you like.)  For reasons I don't entirely understand, (La)TeX uses
pre-hashed directory trees instead of searching on the fly.  See man
kpsepath for more information.

> [snip]
> turns out, the CS lab at school has two laser printers hooked up to
> all their lovely UNIX machines -- no need to export farther than ps :)

Yay Swarthmore!

> thanks for all the advice!  my envelopes look beautiful.  now i just
> need a job ... :)

Good luck!

Andy Perrin (Swat '93)

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu