Re: Woody, Sarge, SID, WTF?

* Jeff Elkins (jeffelkins@earthlink.net) [030211 15:36]:
> I'm exploring Debian via the Koppix CD, which I installed to an empty
> partition on my RedHat 8 box.
>
> After installation, I modified my /etc/apt/sources.list to point to:
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
>
> At this point, I did an apt-get dist-upgrade. Which completed...
>
> So, am I now running Sid, Sarge, or WTF?

Since unless otherwise directed (via preferences) apt will grab the
latest packages available.  Since you have unstable source lines listed
in your sources.list, you will have grabbed packages from unstable
(sid).  This is a typical sid setup; no hybrid stable/testing/unstable
preferences.

good times,
Vineet
--