Re: How to fix "Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0"?

I wrote:

> Next, it says:
>
>     Herbert Xu wrote:
>         No it does not, all you have to do to use a filesystem other
>         than CRAMFS is to set MKIMAGE in /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf.
>
> Of course, it doesn't say anything about what you can set MKIMAGE to
> [to] do that.
>
> My etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf says:
>
>    MKIMAGE='mkcramfs %s %s > /dev/null'
>
> but no other mk*fs executable on my system takes the same arguments
> that mkcramfs does.

Okay, I found and installed genromfs.  That got a ramdisk built.

Unfortunately, it was too big.

Fortunately, lilo's ramdisk=xxx option solved that problem.

Unfortunately, after the booting kernel says that it found a
romfs file system, it says:

   cramfs: bad magic

So how do I get the kernel to access a romfs initrd image?

Or is there a way to make a cramfs filesystem?

(Recall that I'm trying to build from vanilla kernel sources (2.4.20),
not from Debian-patches sources (latest 2.4.18 in woody).)

Thanks.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay