sounds from the command line (why doesn't play work?)

I'm running debian/testing with gnome. I can use xmms to play sounds but
the 'play' command produces nothing. I have to kill it with ctl-c. Do I
have something set up wrong or should I use a different command to play
sounds from the command line?

--
"After all, the practical reason why, when the power is once in
the hands of the people, a majority are permitted, and for a long