nfs setup question

I've setup nfs a couple of times with potato, but to check
 if nfs is running, I would issue a rpcinfo -p and usually
 get 2 or 3 lines from protmapper and status.d (or
 something like that) if nfs is not running, and if nfs is
 running the rpcinfo  -p commandf would return about 15
 lines including nfs and mountd.  "rpcinf -p servername"
 now returns

rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper RPC: remote system error
 - connection refused.

what did I do wrong?  what did I overlook?