Re: lwresd AND bind/named???? - 'nother Debian newbie question...

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 09:19:39AM -0600, Jeff Hahn wrote:

> > From: Rob Weir [mailto:rweir@ertius.org]
> >
> >I haven't used it, but judging from the package description, 'no'.
>
> That's the conclusion I came to as well.   I don't see anything in
> particular using the lightweight resolver, but if it wants to, I added:
>
> lwres      { };
>
> to the /etc/bind/named.conf, and then bind provides that server
> functionality.
>
> I have no idea whether the debian package manager provides the functionality
> to do, "install package x, unless option a in enabled in package y"

Hmmmm...yes and no.  Since Debian is based around binary packages (at
least for end users, thought this is changing with the introduction of
apt-build), you can't really play around with compile time options much.
The solution has been to create different packages with different
options (e.g. apache and apache-ssl) or to use loadable modules (e.g.
php with the million php-bleh modules).  If you want to build your own
packages with different compile time options, then Debian has simplified
that for you too.  Use the normal 'apt-get source packagename' method,
but modify the debian/rules file before you build.  Somewhere in the
build target it calls ./configure; you can just edit the options to
suit, then rebuild.  If you really want to be neat about it, also modify
the Build-Deps in debian/control so that it installs the needed extra
header files...

> Kinda interesting question...

Most definitely.

--