Re: Knoppix?

stan wrote:

> I am probably going to get a new Compaq EVO N 410c laptop. I booted one of
> these today off a Knoppix CD, and it seemed to recognize everythign
> important, with the possible exception of the modem.
>
> Would it make sense to isntall Knoppix, planing to follow Debian testing?

Sounds good, but be aware that at the moment, Debian testing (sarge) is
pretty outdated. There are tons of updates that can't go into testing
until libc6 2.3 gets in, and nobody is doing security updates for
testing. So at the moment, testing is the least secure branch of Debian,
and only slightly less outdated than woody.

What I would be inclined to do is get Knoppix up and running, then not
bother updating anything until libc6 2.3 and all the gcc 3.2-related
updates get into sarge, then update to sarge and start tracking it.

I may do this on a spare partition of my sole remaining Windows machine.
I'm waiting for a Knoppix image that includes the sid packages of KDE
3.1.

Craig