Re: Defragment

Itsik Aviad <itsik_aviad@yahoo.com> writes:
> I had a serious lock up that forced me to shutdown the system.  When
> I brought it back. It went through the normal procedure of 'fixing'
> everything, except for a section where it said (and I don't remember
> the correct syntax) that it wasn't 'continous'.  Which leads me to
> believe that I probably need to defragment the hard drive.

The end of the fsck process will probably display some statistics on
number of blocks used and a percentage of discontinuous blocks.  This
is perfectly normal and expected.  You might notice a slowdown if the
fraction gets above 5% or so; the 'defrag' package in theory can help
clean this up but it's a little dangerous, and usually unnecessary.

	-- Abra Mitchell