Re: Lyx package recommends sgml-tools, but...

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:59:39AM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I just downloaded and installed Lyx using aptitude on a Sarge system.
> The package recommends also installing 'sgml-tools' which, from its
> name, sounds like a good idea, but the search function in aptitude
> cannot find a package of that name. Where might I find it?

A small point but Lyx suggests rather than recommends sgml-tools.

I'm unfamiliar with aptitude but it is a little surprising it does not give a
similar output to `dpkg -l sgml-tools', `apt-cache search sgml-tools' or
a package search on Debian's web page.

bash-2.05b$ apt-cache search sgml-tools
linuxdoc-tools - SGML converters for the LinuxDoc DTD only.
sgml-tools - Replaced by linuxdoc-tools (dummy package for upgrade)

> Also, I am a beginner at TeX, LaTeX, etc. Please recommend tutorials,
> and 'getting started' documentation.

/usr/share/doc/tetex-doc/texmf is your rather overwhelming starting
point.  Diving into latex/general gets you what you want.

Brian.