Re: apt-proxy backup question

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:37:26AM +0100, Chris Halls wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 06:24:09PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> > Is /var/cache/apt-proxy self contained? If I back up that directory,
> > together with /etc/apt-proxy, can I then just reinstall apt-proxy
> > and unpack those 2 to be back where I was? Or are there some indexes
> > or something hidden away?
>
> Backing up those two directories is all you need.  There are some indexes in
> 'hidden' directories, but those are under /var/cache/apt-proxy/<backend>.
> So backing up those two trees should be all you need.
>
> One thing to note: apt-proxy uses the last access time (atime) of the files
> to determine when they should be cleaned up.  If your backup/restore does
> not save those (e.g. tar does not, star can save them), you may find that
> some files stay around for longer than you expect.  This is probably only a
> concern if your disk space is limited.
>
> I'll add this information to the FAQ in the package.

Thanks for the info - in my case, I'm not worried about losing my cache in
the event of a disk crash or something; I'll take my chances - I don't have
space for that kind of backup (currently around 1.4G). This was more
for a rebuild of the machine. So far I've remounted my old /var filesystem;
when I get round to moving it to a fresh filesystem I'll bear your points in
mind.

Many thanks,

Richard