Re: security

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:12, Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
> It has been possible since BIND 8.x to run it non-root.  I did it on
> my main machine (non-Debian).  It took a little fiddling with
> permissions and ownership so it could read & write the configuration
> and zone files.  Figure an hour to get it to work.  I should invest
> another hour to improve the solution.  I now think it can be done more
> securely.

I've been running BIND non-root for many years, I think I even had 4.x running
non-root.

I used the authbind package to allow binding to port 53 as non-root and needed
a few modifications to /etc/init.d/bind and some permissions of some files.
It wasn't too difficult.

Bind9 manages it's own security by dropping capabilities and does not work
with authbind.