Re: Deb3.0 - Enabling NAT in kernel?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 12:13:19PM +0200, Johan Ehnberg wrote:
> I'd try a new 2.4 kernel or compile it myself using make-kpkg (you'll
> need kernel-source, kernel-package and probably ncurses for 'make
> menuconfig'). Read the Howto and you'll have it working in a few hours,
> and at the same time you'll understand how it works.

You need ncurses-dev as well as ncurses for make menuconfig - this has
caught a few people out, including me.

I'm using kernel 2.4.20, self-compiled.

In make menuconfig, under Networking Options --->, I have enabled:
Packet socket
Packet socket: mmapped IO
Network packet filtering
Socket filtering
Unix domain sockets
TCP/IP networking

Possibly not all of this is needed - mmapped IO for example - but it
doesn't hurt.

Then in the submenu IP: Netfilter Configuration ---> are a whole wad
of options, some of which are needed. Not knowing precisely which I
would need and which not, I enabled the whole lot as modules.

For setting up the masquerading, see the thread "modem / pon / serial
problems", in which my problems were sorted out.

Pigeon