Re: CD Burner and ide-scsi emulation

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 06:23:31PM +1100, frank wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 06:43 am, Pigeon wrote:
> > >
> > > So this means not to include ide-cd module?  How does one get to the
> > > second, non-burner CD ROM?
> >
> > I have a funny CD-ROM drive that doesn't work properly under ide-scsi
> > emulation. So I have both ide-scsi and ide-cd modules, and set my
> > kernel boot parameters to include
> >
> > hdb=ide-cd
> > hdc=ide-scsi
> >
> > Which seems to work OK. I've used it with 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 kernels
> > (my own builds).
> >
> > If you have a non-weird CD-ROM, you can just run both as ide-scsi.
> >
> > Pigeon
>
> I dont even do that.
> I have 'options ide-cd ignore /dev/hdd' in a file called my_crap in
> /etc/modutils/, and in /etc/modules I list ide-cd before ide-scsi.
> (and ran update-modules after the edit)
>
> Seems to work on a 2.4.5 and 2.4.19 kernel.
>
> The reason I use ide-cd for the reader is that I cant rip
> CD's using ide-scsi, not sure if this is normal.

That's exactly why I do it. I think it depends on the age of the
CD-ROM. My CD-ROM is a 44-speed from when 44-speed drives were quite
new and the box I was putting it in was a 486. It uses the mmc2
revision of SCSI emulation. I've tried a couple of other drives which
use the later mmc3 and they rip OK as ide-scsi. So maybe this is the
cause, although I haven't been able to try any other mmc2 drives to
confirm it.

Pigeon