Re: startx as user

Matt Price wrote:

Im having some trouble with kde, but still depend on my sup as a daily
work environment.  So I'd like to be able to ru kde on one display
(:0) and afterstep on a second (1).
I tried this:

startx /usr/bin/afterstep -- :1
and got the message "can't open .Xauthority"
so I tried writing a tiny script:

#!/bin/bash

X -auth .Xauthority1 :1
/usr/bin/afterstep

and got the message: X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
AfterStep: can't open display

as root or with sudo either method works. Any advice on a safer way to start a second x session?

thanks as usual,
matt

I dunno. Maybe try a different wm to make sure it's not a problem with afterstep. I was able to do what you're trying (but not with afterstep, which I don't have installed).

My sister's running icewm on vt7 (X display :0) via kdm; also from kdm running on vt8 (X display :1), I logged in as myself and chose icewm. Then, just now, I ctrl-alt-f2'd to get to vt2 and logged in as myself and ran "startx /usr/bin/xfce -- :2" which started xfce on vt9 (X display :2). So it _should_ work for you.

Kent