Re: RPM and db3

Paul M Foster wrote:
> I had the same problem, and I searched the archives back for six months,
> and this is about the answer given every time.
>
> I gotta tell ya, folks, this is a lame answer. You've deliberately
> included a _broken_ package in Debian, which is just dumb for the most
> technically superior Linux distro there is. Open Source is about
> _choice_. If people want to run RPM, they should be allowed to. If you
> like, put up a big notice when they install it, telling them they are in
> danger of dropping off the cliff into the abyss and forever frying in
> the hell of confused package managers. But fix the damn package and put
> it in the distro, like everyone else in the world.

Sorry, I won't. I'm not interested in fielding the tech support for
people who would break their system using rpm to install rpms directly
instead of learning about alien. (Of course if you're volenteering ...)

rpm is included in Debian to provide the rpm libraries to other debian
packages, for use in creating rpms, including lsb-compliant rpms, and to
support installation of rpms and lsb packages via alien. As such it is
not broken at all, it's doing exactly what I designed for it to do in
Debian.

Anyone who can read documentation can easily get the rpm database
created using what I ship in debian. It's all of 2 commands. But you
have to *read* first.

--
see shy jo, rpm maintainer for debian