Re: sndfile.pc ?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 06:41:07PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 01:44:05PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > >
> > > You should be able to find the answer to all such questions using
> > > http://packages.debian.org/, trying various values for the Distribution
> > > field.
> > >
> > Actually, if I understand what's going on here. The configure script is
> > trying to use something called /usr/bin/pkg-config to search for installed
> > packages.
>
> Ah....pkg-config is, AIUI, designed to replace the million and one
> 'libX-config' programs you currently have installed.  It gives you a
> simple way to find out what compiler options and header files were used
> to buid a particular library.  GTK2 uses this, and seems to have become
> the new standard...
>
> > I was hoping to get some insight into this tool, and how well integrated it
> > is into "the Debian way" of doing things.
>
> For packages that support it, the requisite information will be in the
> libbleh-dev package.  I'm not sure if there's any formal plan to convert
> packages over to it or not, but it does seem like a better way to handle
> it...

While thta is probably a noble long term goal. It seems to me, that in the
meantime, it means compiling something that is aware of this tool (eg
Ardour) will be well nigh impossible on a Debian machine.

Or am I missing something important here?

Here is the scenario. I try to build, let's say Ardour. It's configure
script is aware of pkg-config, but all the requisite libraries, which _are_
present on my debina machine, have not yet bee converted to update
pkg-config. This seems to garuntee that the packages I;m trying to build's
configure script will fail.

Right, or wrong?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin