Re: Slightly OT: KDE3.1 vs. Gnome2 Seeking Info!

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:49:06AM -0600, John Foster wrote:
> I recently installed Both Gnome2 from SID  and a few other places and
> KDE3.1  Much ot this was installed using apt-build from sources outside
> the US. I have had VERY decent results with both when using the display
> manager GDM but when I switch over to KDM only the KDE3 apps  and some
> old X apps are available to the menu system.

This would be a bug in the packages.  The Debian way is to use the
'menu' system, so that every WM sees every X program.  Since KDE3 is on
it's way into sid, and it will presumably comply with Policy and not
have this silly problem, you could backport them.

> I have tried using
> kde-appfinder to solve this issue, but it seems to not see the gnome
> apps except for evolution 1.21 from Ximian. I prefer KDM as it seems to
> perform better in most other respects and the KDE configuration systems
> are far superior to Gnome at present "IMHO" I am seeking othere with
> similar experiences and possibly any solutions to this problem.
>

> There
> are many Gnome apps that I wish to use, especially GIMP and GMC, and
> some of the GTK products for database management. None of these are
> located by the menu system in KDE. I am aware of the fact that I can
> probably set them up by hand but I am trying to find a more automated
> way.

Run them manually, I guess.  Or integrate KDE into the menu system that
every other WM you have uses.

> Any suggestions?? I am running a mixed testing/unstable Debian
> systems most of it compiled using G++3.2 and optimized for AMD processors.

Well, by this stage, KDE3 has probably completely entered sid, so you
might just want to use that, or recompile it if you really, really care
:)

-rob