Re: Packaging system and non-Debian packages [was: Re: lm_sensors]

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 02:09:04AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 03:49:57PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > It would be useful to know how to do this in the more general case,
> > where there isn't a convenient command like make-kpkg.
> >
> > My particular case is X 4.2.0, which I downloaded the source of and
> > compiled for slink, then for woody when I upgraded. But of course
> > woody's packaging system doesn't realise it's there and keeps wanting
> > to pull in bits of the woody X.
> >
> > No doubt the "Debian way" to fix this would be to get the X 4.2.1
> > source package from testing and build that. But I'm on dialup, and the
> > idea of re-downloading 100Mb or so compares poorly with that of
> > editing a few files to achieve the same result.
>
> No, the debian way is to do one of the following:
>
> 1) download the diff and dsc file, apply to your source, build debian
> package.

The testing X is 4.2.1 (isn't it?) but mine is 4.2.0, so surely this
won't work? Unless none of the files that the diff applies to have
changed between 4.2.0 and 4.2.1, and possibly not even then.

> 2) use the "equivs" package.  It claimns it is a hack (and it is) but
> it works as long as you have a clue.  You can really break your
> system with it if you do not :-)

That looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'll play safe, and
back up /var and /etc before I play with it!

Thanks,
Pigeon