[OT] poker open source

Hi,

i like playing poker but since none of my friends live in the vicinity
it would be great to have a network poker game. I currently have
Sierra Hoyle Poker which is good except it isn't open source or free and
it doesn't allow you to add own games. Besides, my friends don't have it
anyway.
So, i might program one myself that allows you to construct your own
type of games.
Since most of my friends stil use windows, it would have to be
crossplatform and then java comes to mind.
However i would opt for c++ insteand and use mingw as compiler, make and
SDL or wxWindows.
Would this make it possbile to compile the source on linux and windows?

Also, i'm not sure which is more suited for graphics, wxWindows or SDL.
Not that it will contain a lot of animation. In fact, i won't include
any in the beginning but i do not want to be limited later on when i
for instance want to program the animation of cards being dealt.
I know from my win32 programming days that the GDI is quite limited
but you could get things to speed up by includinga double buffer
mechanisme.
I saw both have their own socket classes to deal with. Anyone have an
idea on which of the 2 is easier to use?

Another difficult task will be the hand evaluator. Since the poker games
i want to allow, can have different sized decks, with or without jokers,
wildcards and so on, this can become a challenge.
Not in the least because some games have the lowest hand as the winning
hand.
For instance in a hand with 5 cards where you have 2 wildcards ( 5 card
draw, deuces wild), what's the best possible hand and the best low hand?
I'm not sure how i could evaluate it and it should be quick.
I thought of making an array with all hands that where possible by
substituting the wildcards with all cards from 2 to ace. Then you would
end up with a number of hands and then you would have to evaluated all
of them to decide the best hand. However this seems like a subpar
sollution. Any ideas?

Is there an opensource poker project aimed at network play in mind?

------
Benedict Verheyen
Linux 2.4.20 AMD Athlon(tm) Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux