Re: shuttle disaster

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:16:31PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 05:46:12PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> > Where the hell do you think the money came from?  If an investor can't
> > expect a return, why should he put himself at risk?
>
> It's basically gambling picking a stock that'll last long enough and
> perform well enough to create dividends.  Furthermore, the payoff
> frequently is drastically disproportionately high relative to the
> individual effort put in to creating that wealth:  I see it basically
> as tricking some stupid asshole into giving you a $20 for a $5.
> That's not working, that's being a crook.

The market is full of staid but solid performers which return a few
percentage points (most) every year, which means overall you're doing
better than putting your money in a savings account or even a money
market account.  I must be missing your point, or my view of the facts
is in dissonance with yours.

The big problem I see with the stock market is the same problem I see
with the computer industry; it's full of idiots.  Anyone who buys a
single stock because someone told them to shouldn't be buying stock at
all; they should be investing in mutual funds or index funds.

Of course, if you just tax them to the hilt, they won't have to worry
about investing at all.

  We are all agreed that your theory is crazy.  The question which
  divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of
  being correct.  My own feeling is that it is not crazy enough.
          -- Niels Bohr