Re: [OT] SpamCop.net

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:15:40AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> SpamCop is a rather arbitrarily-run service that has received a lot of
> criticism for blocking whole IP ranges, thereby blocking tons of legit
> mail in the name of blocking a spammer or two who might also inhabit
> that IP range.

Please read the FAQ.  Spamcop does not block any email ever.  Spamcop
does run a DNSBL, which it strongly discourages using as a method to
block email, the officially condoned use is for things like
spamassassin which will use it as one method of many to identify
spam.

On a broader note, no DNSBL blocks spam, ever.  Individual sites may
use them as a reference, but it's the individual sites that are doing
the blocking, and that is thier own decision to refuse mail based on
such lists.

> In particular, journalist Declan McCullagh's PoliTech
> mailing list has been blocked at times by SpamCop; there is information
> about this in the PoliTech archives. I would not recommend SpamCop to
> anyone.

Declan McCullagh has no room to talk about technical issues when he
fails to recognize basic things like DNSBLs do not block email.

> Debian contains a number of programs to help you block spam yourself.

OK, but what about reporting spam?  That's spamcop's main purpose in
life.

Please, go read SpamCop's FAQ before you say any more about it,
though.  There is no reason to spread FUD.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user