Re: shuttle disaster

Paul E Condon wrote:

>Gary Turner wrote:
>
>>John Hasler wrote:

>>>The tension would taper from nominally zero at the base to maximum at the
>>>attachment to the counterweight.
>>
>>Actually, maximum tension occurs at the CG, with minimums at the ends.
>>Forces are reversed, maximum at the ends, and minimum (balanced) at the
>>CG.  These are tidal forces.  A single point counter-weight, as opposed
>>to distributed, will cause a discontinuity in the function, but the
>>function holds true on either side of the break.
>>
>Center of gravity (CG) is of doubtful value in thinking about this
>problem. The object extends over a region in which substantially
>different gravitational accelerations occur, and is at rest in a
>reference frame in which there is significant centrifugal force.

More correctly, center of mass.  But the effect is the same.

>The rules of the space elevator game, as I understand them, are
>1 a vertical tension member
>2 mass at upper end is at higher altitude than geostationary orbit
>3 mass at lower end is close to the surface of the Earth
>4 the whole thing is stationary with respect to the Earth as a reference
>frame.
>
>5 Adjust unspecified parameters so that it stays put without very large
>rockets or other cheats.

This tidal dependent structure is inherently stable.

Some kind of accommodations will likely be needed.  Atmospheric
conditions can exhibit tremendous lateral forces.

>These conditions imply that maximum tension is at geosychronous orbit
>altitude. Below that altitude tension is increasing with altitude. Above
>that altitude tension is decreasing with increase in altitude.

For an interesting application of these principles, read Larry Niven's
"The Integral Trees".
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---