Re: CRASHING HARD DRIVE

--- Rick Macdonald <rickmacd@shaw.ca> wrote:

> > In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>   I know that this has been discussed before so I
> >> apologize for asking again.  I believe that my
> hard
> >> drive is on its last leg.  Can I do a quick and
> dirty
> >> bzip2 / and will that bzip2 by drive so that I
> can
> >> copy it to another, then do the bunzip2?  I'm
> looking
> >> for a easy solution, I can re-install, that's not
> >> problem, I just hate to loose some programs that
> >> have installed.
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >> Don
>
> Don - you didn't say what the drive problem looks
> like, but once when I
> was just about to replace a drive I ram memtest and
> found that bad memory
> was the problem causing corrupted files on disk.
>
> ...RickM...

I dual boot with this system and normally I'm in
Debian.  My daughter came down and ask what with the
clacking that my computer is doing.  When I came out
of Debian and tried to go to my other os I received
Oper System not found, and then other time's it very
slow bringing up the other OS and it will still clack
in Debian.
Thanks for the question and response on the memtest.
Don