Re: Canon Powershot A40 support?

On 07 Feb 2003, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 02:07:22PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I'm thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A40 but need to confirm that it
> > is supported in Linux. The gphoto2 website only lists the A50, which
> > seems to be an older model. One or two people found on Google seem to
> > think the A40 is supported but I need to be sure. Has anyone here used
> > this camera?
>
> Yes. I bought an A40 last month, which works perfectly using Debian
> (kernel 2.4.20) and gphoto2 2.1.1. I use gtkam as a front-end. The only
> problem I had right at first was forgetting to switch the camera into
> playback mode and spending an hour or so wondering why the USB subsystem
> had no idea of its existence. :-) That was entirely user error.
>
> If you google for "A40 Debian", you should find
> http://www.edginet.org/techie/linux/canon.html, which is an excellent
> reference.
>
> I don't print pictures these days, so I've no idea what the A40 is like
> for that, but it seems to produce excellent results for photos on web
> pages.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Thanks to all for helpful replies. Slight problem: gphoto2 2.2.1.1 is in
unstable, and depends on libc6 > 2.3.1-1; are there not unresolved
issues with upgrading to this version at present?

AC
--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic