Re: CRASHING HARD DRIVE

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I know that this has been discussed before so I
> apologize for asking again.  I believe that my hard
> drive is on its last leg.  Can I do a quick and dirty
> bzip2 / and will that bzip2 by drive so that I can
> copy it to another, then do the bunzip2?  I'm looking
> for a easy solution, I can re-install, that's not a
> problem, I just hate to loose some programs that I
> have installed.
> Thanks in advance.
> Don

If you can hook the second drive up along with the bad drive, you can
partition it and use 'cp -a' to put the system from the bad drive on to th
good one.  I do everything except /mnt and /proc.  Then I make the /proc
directory and /mnt directory with the subdirectories in /mnt which aren't
very many on my system.  I've done this several times and got a duplicate of
my system.

Two things though.  I have had the new drive in another place and had to
modify fstab.  If you are going to put it in the same place as the old
drive, you wouldn't have to do that.  I haven't had the problem with
booting, because I've just updated LILO on the old drive (In my case, the
drive was not bad.)  You will have to figure out how to boot if you are
moving the new drive to the same spot as the old one.  You will not have
LILO in place.  Your boot floppy will work, I think, as long as the
partitions are the same.  Then you could run lilo once you get booted and
write LILO to the mbr.

Anita