From: myria_meter@excite.com [mailto:myria_meter@excite.com]
Sent: Friday, 7 February 2003 11:14 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org; David Pastern
Subject: Debian on Macintosh

It is not my intention to cause a discussion about platform preferences. I
am about to install Woody on a Mac 9500 with a G3 upgrade. I have 3 hd in
this unit and I will be using a 4.5GB Wide SCSI  hd running off an Adaptec
adapter card. I am running Mac OS 9.1 on the primary hd. I have a few
questions.

Most of the instructions re Linux on Macintosh recommend that the Mac OS be
present on the computer. These instructions seem to be written from the
prespective that there is only one hd in the computer and that there will be
2 OS on that hd which will require partitioning to accomodate both OS. So is
it really necessary to have the Mac OS on the hd where I plan to install
Debian if that hd is dedicated to Linux?

When I install Debian on the 3rd hd will I be able to boot directly into
Linux if it is the only OS on the hd? I presume that I could boot the
computer from my primary hd and then do a Startup Disk change in the control
panel, select Debian and then restart. Or is there another way?

I have looked at other Linux distro and Debian is the only one that seems
compatable with Intel computers and Mac OS. As I have one of each I would
like to have a common distro between them. Currently I have SuSE on an older
ACER laptop and it is the only OS on the computer. As much as I like what I
see in  SuSE it does not support Mac OS.

Thanks, r.