Re: CUPS password?

stan wrote:

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:33:40PM -0700, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 17:18, stan wrote:

I've got CUPS installed on my Debian machine from .debs. When I try to go
to the damin section of the web interface, I'm prompted for a username
password pair.

Where do I look for this config?

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Well, I have looked there, but if it's there, I'm overlooking it.

A clue, perhaps?

In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
there is probably a section about Security: one of the options is SystemGroup that specifies a special unix group used under certain circumstances for authorization. That group may be lpadmin, but by default could be sys system or root.

There should also be a <Location /admin>...</Location> section which describes the authorization required: Specifically you can restrict the host from which to access and the AuthType/AuthClass.
AuthType is probably Basic
AuthClass could be Anonymous User Group or System

If the AuthClass is System than you need to specify the username and unix password of a user belonging to the Systemgroup specified above.

Your milage may vary

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow