Re: shuttle disaster (space elevators)

Paul E Condon writes:
> It is not hard to compute the tension in a space elevator ribbon. (It
> would be a fair question for a final exam in an undergraduate mechanics
> course.)  It depends on position along the ribbon, on the Earth
> parameters (size, rate of rotation, etc. )...

In particular there is no reason for there to be any significant tension is
the cable at the base.  With proper controls such a cable should just hang
there if severed at or near ground level.  A fail-safe design would make
the connection to the bottom anchor the weakest point so that an
over-tension event would not result in a cable fall.  The real risk comes
from an impact high up on the cable.

> ...the mass-per-unit-length (kg/m) that is assumed for the ribbon.

Which must be tapered, of course.

> The last time I checked, there was not a material having a suitable
> combintation of kg/m and tensile strength.

Theoretically any material will work, but the dimensions get out of hand
when using wet spaghetti.  In practice carbon nanotubes are strong enough.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org