Re: Installing Non-Debian Programs w/out Apt -- what effect?

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:20:34PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> And, while I'm on it -- once a program is packaged (like Open Office) and is
> in unstable, is there any general rule of thumb for how long it takes to go
> to testing and finally to stable?

-> testing: once all its dependencies are in testing, once it builds on
all architectures and once a single version of the package has spent at
least 10 days (generally, there are exceptions) in unstable without
release-critical bugs being filed. See
http://www.debian.org/devel/testing for the details.

-> stable: when a new Debian release happens, full stop.

There's no easy rule of thumb to give you, because it depends completely
on how releasable the package is in unstable, and on how releasable all
its dependencies are.

Cheers,