Re: modem / pon / serial problems

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:19:36PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:14:36PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > So I have resorted to a VILE HACK. The main box exports its /etc via
> > NFS to the modem box. A script in the modem box's /etc/ppp/ip-up.d
> > then copies the modem box's newly updated /etc/resolv.conf across to
> > the main box whenever I connect.
>
> Grotesque.

True.

> Now you've gone and installed portmap and NFS services on
> your gateway box which can't be that great of an idea security-wise.

On the main box, I have an HD partition with all 7 Woody CDs on it. I
installed NFS on the other one so I could install things by
apt-getting them from the main box, without having to muck about
swapping CDs. Guess I can always purge it when I've finished setting up.

> > I'm sure there must be a less vile method of doing this... what is it?
>
> Install DNS caching software on the gateway (the modem box).  Have all
> internal machines use the gateway as their nameserver (use a static
> resolv.conf).  You can use BIND as a caching only nameserver, and of
> course there are other choices like dnsmasq, maradns, pdnsd, and DJB's
> dnscache.

That's plenty of options to experiment with... guess the NFS will stay
for a while :-)

It's more complicated a solution than I was thinking of, but it'll
also no doubt enable me to refer to the local machines by name instead
of by number.

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:06:36PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Pigeon writes:
> > I'm sure there must be a less vile method of doing this... what is it?
>
> a) Run a caching-only nameserver on the modem box.
>
> b) Just put the ISP's three nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and be happy.
> The only real purpose served by "dynamic DNS" is to save users the trouble
> of typing in the numbers.  All three servers will work regardless of which
> two they sent you most recently.

Well, (b) will de-vile me until I sort (a) out, which makes life easier.

Thanks, to both of you.

Pigeon