RE: CRASHING HARD DRIVE

AFAIK, bzip2 is a compressor, not an archiver. You'll need to use tar if you
want to do that. If I was really concerned, I'd do this:

tar zcf somefileondifferentdisk.tgz /any /olddirectories /icare/about

And something like this (not exactly sure of syntax here):

dd if=/dev/hdb3 of=someotherfileonanotherdisk

This would give me the file level snapshot with the tar command, and a block
level image with the dd command. I could then later mount the block image
using a loopback file system. It's more complicated but I'm guaranteed not
to miss any data from that partition.

Tar is less than ideal here since it will cross file systems. You'll need to
make sure it doesn't do that or you'll end up with a lot of crap in you tar
file, making it tough to use. However, the tar file should take up a great
deal less space.