Re: 2 apt-get questions

On Thursday 06 February 2003 02:06 am, Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> torsdag 6. februar 2003, 07:08, skrev Hal Vaughan:

> > 1) How can I specify the source site to use to retreive a specific
> > package? (In this case, I added download.kde.org with all the info to
> > point to the KDE 3.1 packages, but apt doesn't seem to see anything above
> > KDE 2.2, even after apt-get update).
>
> That won't be neccessary; KDE 3.1 will be in Sid Any Time Now.
> Anyway, the correct line for installing under woody is deb
> http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde/ woody main

So how is ktown.kde.org different from download.kde.org?  And why does KDE
reference the latter?

> Other than that, I can't help you.
>
> > 2) How can I install a .deb file that I've downloaded with my browser?
> > (I downloaded a game that was a .deb file into my home directory.  I
> > searched the /var dir tree and found .deb files in
> > /var/cache/apt/archives, so I copied the file in there, but "apt-cache
> > search" doesn't show any awareness of the downloaded package.)
>
> Apt-get acts as a frontend to dpkg, downloading and installing packages in
> the right order. You can call dpkg directly (dpkg -i) to instll your own
> packages; apt-get will still be aware of it and assume proper dependencies,
> as it shares dpkg's database for that.

So it'll install, but not check for dependencies?  Got it.  I'll check
dependencies on my own.

> > And, if the answer or info I'm looking for isn't in the apt-get man page,
> > where would it be?
>
> The APT HowTo and the dpkg man page.

That's the danger of trying to solve problems at 2:00 am -- I totally forgot
about the Apt HowTo.  (Hits forhead and does a Homer Simpson "D'oh!")

Thanks!