Re: [OT] USB -> Ethernet adapters

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:20:48PM -0600, Jacob S. wrote:
| Looking at the device compatability list on www.linux-usb.org it looks
| like these adapters are supported fairly well. I was wondering though if
| anyone has had any experience with them, good or bad, and what their
| recommendation would be for purchasing a new one.

I have a LinkSys adapter that came with the setup package for my DSL
connection.  It uses the 'pegasus' driver.  I once tested that it
worked.  Since all the machines with a PCI bus already have NICs, and
the machines with only an ISA bus can't have USB anyways, I haven't
used it beyond verifying that it was recognized.  Depending on your
setup, note that USB has a theoretical limit of 7Mbps (IIRC) (which is
shared with your keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, and whatever else
you have in USB form) so using a USB<->Ethernet adapter will limit
your network bandwidth.  If it is only a bridge to a DSL or cable
link, that link has an even lower theoretical limit so the point is
moot.  If you are building a LAN, however, you may not want that
limitation.

-D

--
The nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/