Re: 2 apt-get questions

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:08:52AM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> 2) How can I install a .deb file that I've downloaded with my browser?  (I
> downloaded a game that was a .deb file into my home directory.  I searched
> the /var dir tree and found .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives, so I
> copied the file in there, but "apt-cache search" doesn't show any awareness
> of the downloaded package.)

apt-get acquires the .deb files for you and then acts as a front end
for dpkg, the program that actually does the package installing.  man
dpkg should help you some, and I believe that dpkg -i package.deb will
install it for you.  I've rarely done this and I'm not sure how it
interacts with apt-get later (I doubt you can uninstall packages
installed this way with apt-get remove...I would imageine apt is
simply unaware of them, but someone who knows more about this should
comment on it).

Sorry I can't help with the first question, but this should get you
started for the second :)

Steve

--
Steve Wollkind        				810 C San Pedro
steve@njord.org					College Station, TX 77845