Re: KDE freezes after apt-get upgrade

dbalder@pacbrands.com.au wrote:

Hi all,

Yesterday I finally got to upgrade my woody box. Later I noticed that the
system froze when I was performing apt-get upgrade from debian security
repository (whish was not available before).

Has anybody else notice this? The problem happened while I was opening a
pdf file from my email. I tried to save it and the system got frozen. I
waited about 10-15 minutes and then I had to reset.

The same problem happened after I restarted. I continued to upgrade the
system and the system froze while I was downloading my email (this should
not be *that* demanding I thought).

I didn't try this with gnome. I found this started happening after I
upgraded a lot of kde-related stuff... I am still to upgrade quite a few
packages from seciruty.debian.org. Could this be the cause of this
temporary instability?

Just wondering....

TIA

Davor

Does the whole machine lock up, or just X? Can you Ctrl-Alt-F2 to the second virtual terminal? Can you telnet/ssh in to the box? Can you ping the box?

If "no" to the last two questions, do you have an eepro100 NIC? I ask, because I have a machine that kept locking up totally during network activity; turned out to be a bug in the NIC driver; had to use a utility (don't remember which now, but it's apt-gettable) to change a setting in the NIC's PROM, which solved the problem.

Kent