Re: ogg to mp3 audio (also via 8233a question)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:07:12 -0800
Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Such a program would essentially just be an ogg vorbis decoder piped to
> an mp3 encoder, along with some helpful glue to guess which vorbis tags
> to move into the mp3's id3 tags. Since it would have an mp3 encoder, it
> couldn't possibly be under GPL, since mp3 encoders are
> patent-encumbered.

    Not to mention that it is a very bad idea to decode from one format and
recode in another; or even the same format.  These are lossy formats with
different encoding schemes.  By decoding from one and encoding in another
you're introducing the artifacts from both.  The end result is really crappy
sounding audio no matter what the end format.