RE: fstab/mount filesystem nomenclature

What is the appropriate nomenclature for logical/entended partitions in fstab and elsewhere

For example, hde1 (or hda1) is the base partition. If I use an extended partition, is that hde2 or what

I just added some fstab entries, rebooted, read the stuff fine, but now Woody is smarter (when I try mount /f, I get

FAT: bogus logical sector size 0

VFS: Can’t find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 21:02

Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde2,

    Or too many mounted file systems

    (aren’t you trying to mount an extended partition,

    instead of some logical partition inside?)

--

David

I’m making some progress, but still unresolved issues. Summarizing:

hda is first drive with controller on motherboard

hda1 is first partition

hda8 is second Windows partition

hde is first drive off of external Promise controller

hde1 is first partition

hdf is second drive off of external Promise controller

hdf1 is first partition

But hde2 and hdf2 do not work as second partition. Nor does hde5/hdf5 or hde8/hdf8

Reviewing reference material, the stated and unstated assumptions are that you just

keep numbering up. How that numbering is modified depending on whether it is a logical

or extended partition is not explicitly discussed anywhere I have been able to find such discussions

--

David

I might be able to resolve this more fully if I good see the dialog that flashes by on booting. That’s what led me

to use hde. The rest of it goes by too fast to read. How do I redirect that startup stream

--

David