RE: DVD - driving me crazy...

You might want to try setting up a raw device. Check out the HOWTO set up
and use raw devices for dvd access. On sourceforge.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vittorio [mailto:vdemart@supereva.it]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 8:35 AM
To: debian-user
Subject: DVD - driving me crazy...

I'd like to watch movies by means of my PC DVD reader.

Now, I've installed ogle and xine by means of apt-get from debian
stable and compiled mplayer from source.

None of them works smoothly.

After having symlinked /dev/cdrom to /dev/dvd (it didn't work at all
before this!) OCCASIONALLY and SELDOM either ogle or xine work fine. Now I'm
unable to even start a DVD movie: xine complains about a missing
plugin for 'xine-ui; ogle simply crashes. Mplayer is the only one
akwardly working issuing "mplayer -dvd nn" with nn=1,2,3.

Is there anyone out there able to explain what's wrong with those
programs and what to do to make them work (either xine or ogle)?

OR

Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ciao - Vittorio