Re: DVD - driving me crazy...

-- Vittorio <vdemart@supereva.it> wrote
(on Wednesday, 05 February 2003, 03:11 PM +0000):
> I'd like to watch movies by means of my PC DVD reader.
>
> Now, I've installed ogle and xine by means of apt-get from debian
> stable and compiled mplayer from source.
>
> None of them works smoothly.
>
> After having symlinked /dev/cdrom to /dev/dvd (it didn't work at all
> before this!) OCCASIONALLY and SELDOM either ogle or xine work fine. Now I'm
> unable to even start a DVD movie: xine complains about a missing
> plugin for 'xine-ui; ogle simply crashes. Mplayer is the only one
> akwardly working issuing "mplayer -dvd nn" with nn=1,2,3.

Sounds like you're missing libdvdcss.

> Is there anyone out there able to explain what's wrong with those
> programs and what to do to make them work (either xine or ogle)?
>
> OR
>
> Other suggestions?

I was recently setting mine up, and the tip that finally got DVD's
playing smoothly was turning on dma for my dvd drive:
    hdparm -d1 /dev/xxx
where 'xxx' is your device's id (hda, hdb, hdc, hdd)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net