Re: Building an IMAP server

Hi,

maybe we should switch to the info-cyrus mailing list, as this is
cyrus-specific. I'm subscribed to that list, so you can post followups
to there if you like.

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:19:05PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > delete folders. My first impression is that cyrus is considerably
> > faster than courier.
>
> It is.  The whole indexes pain with Cyrus is to get that speed...

Another advantage is that the mail storage can be spread across any
number of disks and that it offers ACLs. I've posted a mail about this
to the info-cyrus mailing list with some questions ...

In the proposed operating environment, these features are so very
advantageous that I'll probably use cyrus. Besides the speed issue, it
would solve problems with disk prices, and with the ACLs, it offers a
very nice solution for some other things just in a side effect.

> > But to get a decent number of mails into the testusers mailbox for
> > testing, I'd like to copy over all mail from
>
> This is trivial to do with mutt, for example.  Open the maildir folder, tag
> all messages with "T.<CR>", upload them all with ";s{myid@imapserver}<CR>".

Ja, this is what I finally did.

> BTW, Cyrus can be even faster by creating SQUAT indexes of mailboxes to
> speed up the "search" operations...

Is this done automatically? Cyrus seems to have surprisingly few
configuration options --- the only thing I've seen is /etc/imapd.conf,
which holds a few options only. How can the filtering language cyrus
has be used?

> > Recovering from crashes/errors doesn't seem to
> > be so easy. What am I doing wrong here? Are there other programs to
> > recover from problems?
>
> When you copied the files directly, without knowing how sane they were, you
> probably got Cyrus confused.  There must be no "From " line, just a RFC822
> message with proper EOLs (I don't quite remember what cyrus uses for an EOL
> right now, probaby 0x0A) and no trailing garbage or embedded NULLs, EVER.

Hm, the mails in maildir format have complete headers. ... This seems
to be the same with the mails in cyrus' storage --- the headers are
there, including the From: line. Hm, EOL seems to be 0x0D ... maildir
has different EOLs. Maybe I'll examine this somewhat closer and see if
I can plainly copy over converted maildir files and have them
'reconstructed'.

> As long as the mailbox is still in the mailbox databases (see
> ctl_mboxlist), a cyrreconstruct should rebuild the indexes.  But it
> REALLY won't like any message files that are even slightly out of
> wack.

Ok, so when some user accidentially deletes the most important message
of the year, it shall be recovered from the backups easily. I'll do
another test of that by backing up what's in my testing environment
and trying to recover.

GH