Re: Need help: tar and huge files

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 19:52, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Over the past weekend I had a meltdown on my server's only HD.  The best
> I could do was nab some tars from the filesystems using LNX-BBC, move
> them over the network to a Windows box, reformat and reinstall.

Shame, shame, shame!!!  Why didn't you back up your data???

[snip]
>     Does anyone have any ideas on how to get that file out from the tar so I
> may access the files that reside after it in the tar?  There's about
> 2,000 more files in there I'd really like to pull out.  1/2 my home dir,

Could you do 1,999 single file extractions, thus leaving the bad file
in the tarball?  bash should make doing that /relatively/ easy...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ ron.l.johnson |
| "For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start    |
|  with, and becoming increasingly difficult to be produc-   |
|  tive as time went on, and if something went wrong very    |
|  difficult to fix, compared to linux's large over head     |
|  setting up and learning the system with ease of use and   |
|  the increase in productivity becoming larger the longer I |
|  use the system."                                          |
|   Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands                         |