telnet app to allow connection to Tandem server

Hi -

	I'm trying to replace Outside View on my Windows box with SOMEthing
else. .. I need to be able to log into a Tandem - a very old mainframe,
as I understand it - using, obviously, Tandem emulation and using the
IXF protocol for downloads.  We use a database on the Tandem for our
maintenance schedule, among other things.

	apt-cache searching finds lots of telnet clients but nothing to do with
Tandems.  Can someone point me in the right direction if such an app
exists?  Regular old telnet will connect and get the initial prompt from
the server, but after that, text is a garbled mess, when I get anything
at all.  Mostly, it just sits there :<

	TIA --

		dave w