Starting KDM

Hello,

I have Woody installed. I wanted to have X support for an ATI Radeon
7500 card so I upgraded to XFree86 version 4.2.0. I downloaded all of
the files from the XFree86 website and installed them according to their
instructions. I use KDE 2.2.2 as my window manager, and KDM as my login
manager. Everything worked fine before the XFree upgrade. However, now
when I boot up, Woody goes straight to a console login prompt. I have
RTFineM. My /etc/X11/default-display-manager file says /usr/bin/kdm. I
have KDM installed. I have run "dpkg-reconfigure kdm" and set kdm as
default.  When I ran "update-rc.d kdm defaults" it says that 'System
startup links for /etc/init.d/kdm' already exists. Still, everytime I
boot up, Woody goes straight to a console login prompt. If I then login
as user, and then run "startx", then KDE starts up. I want KDM to start
up at bootup. What could be wrong?

debian_newbie,
Thanks